Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Speaking protfolio( entry4)

Context of the conversation
On Saturday the 21 May 2011, I had a conversation with a kiwi handsome tall guy in a café in the Ponsonby. I used to work there as a coffee maker. The name of the guy is Daniel who always come for drinking coffee. We know each other. The conversation lasted for about 10 minutes. We talked about our current life.

 Cultural aspects or cultural differences noticed
Drinking coffee is an important part of New Zealander’s life. It is already become a kind of culture. I notice that most adults are crazy for the coffee. It is different from China. In china , we have various tea and tea culture. Before I come to New Zealand, I seldom drink coffee and I know a little bit of coffee information. However, I gradually get used to drink coffee and I love making coffees.

Beginning and ending of conversation
The conversation began when he came into the cafe, I saw him and said, “Hi, buddy. Long time no see. How are you? How is going on? ” He replied back, “very good. Thank you .How are you?” To that I replied, “I am good , thank you”.
Our conversation end with we say goodbye to each other . I said ,” It is nice to talk to you, maybe I will see you next time, take care !” he said to me, “cool, see you next time, take care , my friend.”
Vocabulary features noticed
when we were talking ,he used some words I was not familiar with. However, I can guess the meaning according to the context. I do not want to stop him and let him explain all the words. It is unrealistic .However, I got one word “fussy” for describing his friends. I checked on the dictionary ,it means not easily satisfied. For example, he is so fussy about the house – everything has to be absolutely perfect.

Strategy used
He is a nice guy and he always speak slowly because he know my speaking is not well. During our conversation wherever I found something difficult to understand, I used statement like “Sorry, I did not get you, bro. Can you repeat it ?”.He will change another way or use simple words to explain to me.
When we talked about the boat fishing , I used some vague words because I do not know how to say .For example, “something like that.” “A  kind of stuff”.

 
Conversation Flow
When we are speaking , we look at each other sometimes and we also use some body language to help us communicate. Both of us made encouraging/constructive comments to show that we are listening to each other - ‘Right’; ‘Uh-huh’; ‘OK’, ‘Yes’.

Some of the phrases I used during the conversation to keep the flow of the conversation well were, “this sounds good”. Some of the phrases used by him to keep the conversation flows smoothly, “yap”; “that’s right”” sweet as”.

 
Vocabulary used
I did not use any new vocabulary because I did have time to think about the new words. Some of the hesitation devices I used such as 'um', 'ah', 'er', etc. I think that I used the hesitation devices too much although it gave me more time to think about what to say in a conversation without the awkward silence. Some of the fillers used were ‘I think’, ‘You know’, ‘I mean’.


Linguistic Features
During the conversation, I noticed my grammar mistakes when I spoke out . For example, I mix  past simple tense and present simple tense to tell him my story. Also, I need time to think what I should say so that my speak speed is slower
In my future conversation with the native speakers, I should pay more attention to their pronunciation and accents and flow of their dialogue delivery. I should make those observations into practice. In addition, I should use the new vocabulary acquired during the course of the study as well as during various conversations with the native speakers. Finally, I should take notes if I think some words are very useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment